Sunday, September 10, 2006

One thing leads to another

We have all of the carpet and linoleum off of the kitchen floor, except for under the stove. That will be the absolute last area to be removed. I want to be able to cook right up until we are ready to start sanding. I have made arrangements for us to stay with my dad for a week or so while the floors are being done. Now there is something weird. Me moving back into my dad's after being out of there for 18 years. I didn't know how he would take the news, but he seemed to be very excited. I thought it was the thrill of having his baby girl back home. My sister pointed out it was because he would have someone cooking for him. I'm thinking she is right...

We started a small corner of the dining room floor. Fortunately (I think) there is only carpet and a layer of glue. While we don't have to tackle the crappy linoleum removal, we do have a thick layer of glue to remove. We are going to need the big guns for this. The only thing that will remove this glue is adhesive remover. It actually works very well. Downside is, it is $30 a gallon. And a gallon does not go very far. If anyone has a cheaper suggestion, I sure would like to hear it.

It seems that one thing keeps leading us to another thing around here. Since we are doing the floors, we decided that we should also paint the dining room. Which leads me to take off ugly wallpaper border.

DSCN1816

See my progress. This was accomplished with only dishsoap, water, and a rag. Just get the paper wet and it peals right off. If only everything could go this well. Now I am up in the air about what color to paint the room. I tend to lean towards warmer colors. I need something that will make my woodwork look good. There is quite a bit of woodwork in that room because this is where our open stairway is. The entire stairway wall is stained wood. So, any suggestions on colors?

5 Comments:

Blogger ~A~ said...

I keep peeking over and but never commenting. Man ya'll are busting your butts.

I tend to lean towards earth tones. But my mom has a lot of furniture in that cherry wood color and the room it's all in she painted this green color. It almost reminds me of a Mexican restaurant kind of green and we tease her about it, but it really sets off that cherry nicely.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I would go with a light buttery yellow color. We have similar wood in our house so I know how hard it is to pick colors.

You guys really are making good progress. Just think how much you will love your house when it is done.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I vote for buttery yellow.

Here is a cool informational site on what color actually does to your moods. Can you believe that looking at the color red actually makes your blood pressure go up?

5:46 PM  
Blogger OMH said...

WOW - remodeling must have slowed down a bunch - because you haven't updated this in a while!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Poppy said...

no kidding...I keep looking and looking and nada *sigh*

come on...update us...please :)

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home