Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wood Floors 2

I think finally we have a system going for these floors. Tonight's work session seemed to go a lot quicker than the previous nights. Our biggest problem is the layer of tar/felt paper. Wetting it down with boiling vinegar water does get it up, but it makes a huge mess. And we are still left with a very thin layer of paper and glue to get off.

DSCN1812


Tonight our friend came over with a heat gun. We were able to scrape off the thick layer of paper using it. The area we worked on only took 20 minutes. Even though we still use the boiling water to take the remaining thin paper and glue off, this trick cut our time considerably. After two hours of working, we completed the section we started AND prepared another section for the glue removal. I am seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel.

DSCN1814

The white strips you see to the left of the photo is where someone patched in 1/4 inch strips into the floor using wood and putty. Since we did not realize this had been done, we took a bunch up. I think once we hit the water stage tomorrow night, the rest is going to pop out of there. Now we are wondering what we are going to do about this one. Right now, the only solution we can come up with is to putty the areas back in.

Right now, I am going to hit the tub and soak my aching back. I am not feeling stressed, it will be a good soak. I am feeling good since we are finally getting somewhere!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Man - So much work! When we put (fake) wood floors in our previous house we decided to take up the old flooring ourselves to save some money. I was so sore, my hands were red and scratched up and would shake by the end of it. We had to take up linoleum which had been glued down to the cement. It was so awful!

Keep up the good work. I know that the beautiful results help you keep going. LOL. It'll be worth it!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That is going to be so beautiful when done. You will almost forget what a pain in the keyster it was...I did say ALMOST.

Keep up the good work.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home